GETTING UNTANGLED WITH JAIME KYLE
Jaime Kyle is a long-time favourite here at L&C. She ha released four albums and written major hits for artists such as Heart and Faith Hill.
I recently found her new website at www.jaimekyle.com, and asked for an interview. Jaime was very kind to take time from her busy schedule to answer our questions.
1. I've yet to hear your latest album. What kind of direction are you taking with it? I was personally quite impressed with "Bombs Away" on the Frontiers compilation album, can we except something in that vein?
- "Untangled" is a personal venture for me. It rocks and then there are some pop songs and some more personal stripped down acoustic songs on there. It was something I needed to do for myself.
I produced it as I have produced or co-produced everything you've heard from me. But it was a labor or love. I love this record. It's up to date soundwise and I have major label interest for it's release.
2. You're well-known as a songwriter. How does it happen: do you write the songs first and foremost for yourself, and then they end up recorded by others, or do you write "tailor-made" songs with the artist who is going to record it in mind?
I write what I feel and then if it fits someone else great. I don't think I would be good at tailoring songs. I like a lot of emotion and passion in my music. I think you know that.
3. You've written songs with several other people, like Van Stephenson and lately Stuart Smith. Who have been your favourite people to work with?
You just named two of my very favorite people to work with. Van has no boundaries in his writing lyrically and Stuart, well what can I say. He is a first rate songwriter himself. Gary Burr is still one of my favorites as well as Burton Collins....
4. Is there someone you'd like the write with, but haven't had the possibility to do so yet?
I would love to write with Ann and Nancy Wilson of Heart. Recently I came in on a song that Howard Leese (guitar player from Heart) and Stuart Smith had written. That was wonderful also. I think that the Wilson sisters and I wouldn't definately create some noise.
5. Let's take the last question a step further: if you had a chance to get a song of yours recorded by any artist of your choice, who would that be?
What a question! I've already had Heart and Faith Hill. I feel that that is pretty miraculous but Bonnie Raitt, Eric Clapton, or Tina Turner. I don't even know how to answer. I am ecstatic when anyone records one of my songs.
6. Out of all the songs you've written, which are the most precious and special for you?
I think on the new CD Untangled. "Untangled" and Beautiful Lies" are very close to my heart. They are both vulnerable, honest and real.
7. Now, can you give us european fans a little bit of hope please :) - do you think we'll see you performing live over here some day?
Yes, I am going to be hopefully touring in September with some very cool artists. All over europe. I can't wait..
8. Last but not least, the obligatory Finnquestion: What do you know about Finland (and no searching the web for info now!)
I'll be honest I don't know much about Finland. I definately want to visit. I know that you rock.
Oh, and one more for the road: Can you tell me who will release your latest album in Europe? "Frontiers"?
We are talking with some major labels so "Untangled" hopefully will be available on a major label...... Waiting to hear...... Until then it is available on my website www.jaimekyle.com