Some of you might have heard of Reckless Love for the first time, when their singer Olliver was announced as the new singer of Swedish sleaze rockers CrashDiet. That Diet didn't work out, and Olliver focused on Reckless Love. And lo and behold, diet or not, he lost that "ver" from his name, and scored a record deal with a major label! The band's first album was just released, but since we didn't have any intellectual, meaningful questions, we sent him... yep... the RapidFireQuestions. Photos from their visit to a department store in Turku.
Why are we talking to you?
- Actually, you're not talking, you're writing to me. In fact, I wouldn't speak to anyone who started a conversation that way. Imagine someone coming up to you at the local bar to ask: "why are we talking?". That would be something. Hahaha... anyway, to answer your very very nicely loaded question, you're probably writing me to ask the questions you are supposed to. I'm here to scrabble what ever I want =) ... and to give readers some insight to a band of mine, called Reckless Love, and its music.
What would be your 3 desert island albums?
- NEVERMIND - NIRVANA
...something to throw into the bonfire and to wipe my ass with ...hahaha xd
- nah, seriously:
- 1984 - VAN HALEN
probably three of my all time fav's, although the top 3 keeps changing every now and then.
What has been your most embarrassing tour moment?
- I don't get embarrassed very easily. probably the times when I've made a mistake by singing a wrong part or something... it bothers me for a second and then I forget about it and move on. One might say that I repress all the negative feelings. Violently. And I stick with the positive ones, desperately.
You are in a balloon with Axl Rose, Gene Simmons and Sebastian Bach - who would you throw out and why?
None of them. However, If it was a matter of life and death I'd throw them all out and stay in myself.
What is your guilty secret?
It's a secret.
Do you ever want to snatch people's mobiles or cameras at gigs and smash them?
Who do you think is the most overrated band/solo artist ever and why?
- No one. And if there ever was one, I wouldn't care.
How did you get involved in music?
- It was a solid part in my upbringing, since my father is a music teacher at Haapaniemi elementary by profession and by his passion. I couldn't have avoided his influence, even if i wanted to. He is one of the most charismatic teachers there is. Actually, one of my friends even stated at the age of 23 that he felt a compelling desire to sit on my father's knee. hahaha... one might even say that i had no choice.
What song (not necessarily yours) do you identify with the most?
Van Halen - Jump. It's all in the lyrics.
Who is the sexiest person in Rock?
- "The Teacher" in Van Halen's Hot For Teacher video.
We know that every town is "The best EVER", but what town is really the best for you?
- Really, truly, sincerely, every town there is. I genuinely believe that there is some Reckless Love in everyone in every town. at least, a tiny tiny bit.
What's your favourite pre 1990 album?
- Pre 1990!!!!!!! Truly an impossible question to answer with one album only. That's because you are talking about a period in time, which I believe produced the best music in the history of mankind, with only few exceptions. Especially the last twelve years, from 1978 to 1990 are the years when nearly all my favorite music was done.
What's the best thing about being a musician?
- To be able to do what I love the most, which is to sing, make records and perform to a live audience. To be in a band with my closest friends and to get to spend time with them while at "work". To be able to sleep and snooze later than late. To be able to stay up even later than that. This list is endless...
What's the worst thing about being a musician?
- Ahh yes, the other side the coin. The single thing that I can say is a slight bit negative is the utter difficulty to form and keep up with steady long term relationships. This is caused by the irregularity and never ending working time that musicians have. You rarely get any time off. I do not see this as too troubling but more like a challenge. It's all up to you how you live your life. You make your own happiness.
What/whom are your influences and heroes (musicwise):
- Obviously we all have our individual heroes. Many of them non-musicians too. My personal influences in music are David Lee Roth, Joe Elliot, Rob Halford, Freddie Mercury among other greats. Axl Rose Was my first rock idol and the reason I wanted to become a singer. As for the whole band I believe Van Halen, Def Leppard, Kiss, Gnr, Bon Jovi and Ratt are definitively those worth a mention. Plus many many others... The list is longer than long.
How did you get your artist/band/project name:
- We started out as a cover band and we played mostly Guns'n Roses covers. We had named ourselves after the 1st song on GNR Lies, "Reckless Life". later on, as we discovered our magical super powers and learned how to write our own songs, we decided that we need another name. Something larger than life... We all loved the word "reckless" coz it sounded awesome and looked kickass. you know - the R is always cool, and so are the double S's in the end. those lovely looking nazi lightnings like in "KISS". So we decided that we'd keep it. Reckless something... hmm, larger than life? I know!!! - Love!!! Reckless Love -> sold, wrapped and delivered. We still love it. Don't you? :d
What song do you want played at your funeral?
- I don't know what I wanna listen to in half an hour or in 15 minutes. Let alone the day that i'm already dead!! I tend not to think anything through, or too far down the line... and I intend to live until I'm 120, at least.
What is the best TV theme tune ever?
- So many good ones. At first I thought of Twin Peaks so I'll settle for that one. However, there are so many I left unmentioned.
Where are you from originally:
- From the city of Kuopio in eastern Finland.
What are your plans for the next 6 months?
- To live and breathe Reckless Love. Perform as frequently as possible and in as many cities, contries and festivals as possible. Who knows, we might come to your hometown ;)
interview by R. Fire