"All About The Album" - If you'd like to feature your band/album, email: urban
SHALLOW GROUND: "Embrace The Fury"
Old school Thrash Metal band Shallow Ground released their latest album "Embrace The Fury" in November 2015. We sent them our set of questions and they answered. And we embraced these answers. And the fury.
1. How has the reaction to your latest CD been?
Awesome can't complain a bit! Seams to be going over pretty well with all my fellow thrashers.
2. How long did this CD take to make from start to finish, recording-wise?
4 months start to finish got the recording done the first few weeks. Then let it sit and fix anything you hear that bugs you. mix and send off to label.
3.What kind of 'sound', production wise, did you have in the back of your mind, prior to entering the studio?
We recorded with Nick from Toxic Holocaust so I knew the drums were going to be killer!!! He is a thrash guy so we let Nick do his thing add input where we needed but he was the man with the plan. We're very happy with the sound.
4. What kind of input did the producer have during the process?
As much as he wanted to give lol. He gave some good advice but we had final say on everything but Nick knows his shit !
5. And are you pleased with the final outcome? (sound - production wise)
Yes very much so. Now I'm looking forward to the next CD.
6. Did the producer use any (weird) experimental miking and/or recording techniques?
No not that I can recall.
7. How did you go on about capturing your 'live sound' in the studio, or perhaps you didn't?
just played the tunes like we do live. I think we are a better live band then studio more energy in front of people then in the studio.
8. Please inform us about your favourite songs and lyrical highlights and why?
once again my fav tune off the CD in the pit we are family round and round we go !! The song is about pit manners.
9. Any overall theme of mood that you're trying to capture while writing songs? I'm a history buff. love writing about real things. Writing the music is something that flows out cant be forced out or you can tell it. I like it when people hear a tune and say i get it I know where they are coming from!
10. Does your vision for coming up with music get affected at all by time?
No time has nothing to do with how we write. All feelings that come out by them self.
11. Did the record company interfere with anything on your "sound" and songs? Oh hell no Killer Metal Records which Jen's runs ! Has been nothing but supportive to us ! He lets us do our thing and in-turn we let him do his!
12. Are there any 'crazy' behind the scenes anecdotes from these sessions that you can share with us?
Had a ghost mess with us recording our 1st cd end of everything! a lot of shit happened during that recording that can not be explained away. Loud foot steps across the room asking if they can knock and getting responses to our questions oh ya it happened.
13. How would you describe the sound of your new CD to any potential new fan?
If you like old school Thrash I bet you may like this.
14. Who are your influences and heroes? (music-wise)
Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, And most of the thrash from the 80s.
15. If there's anything you'd like to add, say, please do:
Thank you for allowing me to be a part of your webzine !!!! and please all you thrashers out there hit us up and check us out !!!!
Interview by: Urban "Wally" Wallstrom,